• Do you have any victories you'd like to share for the month of May? Help us celebrate others by posting here.

Working at two different brokerages

Uncle John

Expert
I currently work at one of the top 3 insurance brokerages as a W2 and was curious if it is possible to work at another brokerage as a sales rep? My job renews my license in all 50 states, so i am not sure if they can see me working for another agency or vice versa. I am just curious because I know in real estate one agency picks up your license and it is impossible to work for a second one because of this, but I don't think insurance agencies pick up your license like they do in real estate. Anyone have any experience doing this?

Trying to do both, just curious how one could find out as it doesn't seem like insurance agencies pick up your license.
They don't. But as DHK said, they can see your appointments. If you're working as a wholesale sales rep, only getting 1099'd, and set up in a ghost hierarchy (so you're not truly a wholesaler, just getting paid on the business you bring in), there really isn't a way for them to tell.

BUT, this is super shady and you'd be likely be fired if your w2 employer found out. You may also be sued if you're soliciting business from your current agents/clients and directing it elsewhere.

You'd be shocked how small this business is. People know each other. One comment about a "new sales rep who's killing it" at a NAILBA conference from one principal to the other is all it would take.

Tread lightly.

They don't. But as DHK said, they can see your appointments. If you're working as a wholesale sales rep, only getting 1099'd, and set up in a ghost hierarchy (so you're not truly a wholesaler, just getting paid on the business you bring in), there really isn't a way for them to tell.

BUT, this is super shady and you'd be likely be fired if your w2 employer found out. You may also be sued if you're soliciting business from your current agents/clients and directing it elsewhere.

You'd be shocked how small this business is. People know each other. One comment about a "new sales rep who's killing it" at a NAILBA conference from one principal to the other is all it would take.

Tread lightly.

Thanks for the tip

Back