MAPD Enrollment Periods

Have a new case this week for Medicare, the guy turned 65 two years ago and got Part A. He was on an employer plan, so he waited on part B, which became effective 5/1. Naturally, I assumed that he was in his ICEP until the end of this month, but I wanted to verify with the carrier, simply because of my conversation with him. I knew that he would have been bombarded with calls upon turning 65 and could have been enrolled in just about anything, whether he knew it or not.

Well, he was enrolled in a part d right after t65, so that knocks out his ICEP and he is now OEP-N. I was glad that I called, but I was a little perplexed. It wasn't evident to me that he would have been knocked out of ICEP, just because he enrolled in a part D two years ago. Anyway, it pays to check sometimes.

What I find amazing is the need for all of these election codes; I do understand the logic, for some of them, but others seem to bum into each other for no apparent reason.

The best one I've had to date, was a lady that had Part A only, and an MA plan for three years. They didn't catch it, and I told her that if we tried to change anything she could lose it, and wished her well. Have you ever run into anything like that?

How was Oep-N used on the first example? I thought that’s for people who signed up for mapd with same A and B date and in first 90 days want to disenroll back to orginal Medicare or change to different mapd . Definition below . What didn’t you just use lose of coverage sep ? Icep sep cant be used after the effective date of part B . I got one now we’re lady walked into ss office may 1st and turned in part b sign up and credible coverage form and asked for June 1st part B effective date . Biggest mistake people make that didn’t have employer coverage is not asking for at least a month out part b date . Ss Will back date part b in the month you apply . Then icep can’t be used

Attachments

• IMG_0624.png
    IMG_0624.png
    232.2 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Have a new case this week for Medicare, the guy turned 65 two years ago and got Part A. He was on an employer plan, so he waited on part B, which became effective 5/1. Naturally, I assumed that he was in his ICEP until the end of this month, but I wanted to verify with the carrier, simply because of my conversation with him. I knew that he would have been bombarded with calls upon turning 65 and could have been enrolled in just about anything, whether he knew it or not.

Well, he was enrolled in a part d right after t65, so that knocks out his ICEP and he is now OEP-N. I was glad that I called, but I was a little perplexed. It wasn't evident to me that he would have been knocked out of ICEP, just because he enrolled in a part D two years ago. Anyway, it pays to check sometimes.

What I find amazing is the need for all of these election codes; I do understand the logic, for some of them, but others seem to bum into each other for no apparent reason.

The best one I've had to date, was a lady that had Part A only, and an MA plan for three years. They didn't catch it, and I told her that if we tried to change anything she could lose it, and wished her well. Have you ever run into anything like that?
Both of these cases revolve around part B.

Based on a 5/1 effective date, you can write your boy a supplement without the health questions.

If your girl still doesn't have B, you can sign her up in Jan and start over.

How was Oep-N used on the first example? I thought that’s for people who signed up for mapd with same A and B date and in first 90 days want to disenroll back to orginal Medicare or change to different mapd . Definition below . What didn’t you just use lose of coverage sep ? Icep sep cant be used after the effective date of part B . I got one now we’re lady walked into ss office may 1st and turned in part b sign up and credible coverage form and asked for June 1st part B effective date . Biggest mistake people make that didn’t have employer coverage is not asking for at least a month out part b date . Ss Will back date part b in the month you apply . Then icep can’t be used
No, if you don't enroll the month prior to Part B effective date, you can use OEP-N. We were enrolling the month prior(April), his part b became effective 5/1, so naturally I thought he would be ICEP.

What I didn't know was that he had a part D, and that had knocked out his ICEP. The carrier instructed me to use OEP-N, which I have only ever used for late enrollees after part B, but before the expiration of the OEP-N period which lasts an additional two months, after you first enroll in part B.

Apparently, it runs concurrently with ICEP, in this example, I just hadn't encountered it before now.

Both of these cases revolve around part B.

Based on a 5/1 effective date, you can write your boy a supplement without the health questions.

If your girl still doesn't have B, you can sign her up in Jan and start over.
The first case is MAPD only, and we got him enrolled. The second case involved a lady that never got part b, because she couldn't afford it, yet somehow was approved for a MAPD, and slipped through the cracks.

When I talked to her, she had the plan for three years, so apparently no back end audits caught it. I wouldn't have touched that with a twenty foot pole.

No, if you don't enroll the month prior to Part B effective date, you can use OEP-N. We were enrolling the month prior(April), his part b became effective 5/1, so naturally I thought he would be ICEP.

What I didn't know was that he had a part D, and that had knocked out his ICEP. The carrier instructed me to use OEP-N, which I have only ever used for late enrollees after part B, but before the expiration of the OEP-N period which lasts an additional two months, after you first enroll in part B.

Apparently, it runs concurrently with ICEP, in this example, I just hadn't encountered it before now.
So your saying if someone has part an effective date 10/1/22 and part b effective date 5/1/24. You missed the 5/1 enrollment for icep . Your telling me you can use oep-N for 6-1 effective date? Please show me something that says that’s legit ? I’ve never heard of this aep for your example nor seen any agent ever mention

So your saying if someone has part an effective date 10/1/22 and part b effective date 5/1/24. You missed the 5/1 enrollment for icep . Your telling me you can use oep-N for 6-1 effective date? Please show me something that says that’s legit ? I’ve never heard of this aep for your example nor seen any agent ever mention
Well, like I said, I haven't run into this before now. He would have been legit icep, but the carrier told me that the part d knocked it out, and I had to use OEP-N. OEP-N is the longer period surrounding part b enrollement, but like you, I didn't think it could be used, unless the person already had an MAPD. The carrier told me to use it.

You don't need all of these EPs for a new part B. Part B effective date trumps everything. Both MA and OM.

Using your example of above, you can write him just like you would a T65.

Just a heads up but ICEP for delayed Part B enrollment ends when Part B starts, not at the end of the month when Part B starts. ICEP was up for this client 05/01.

Back