Plumbing Horror: Please Help

michael2298

Hi there!

I need a professional advise with my situations.

I have my toilet clogged (first time in 9 months), and I flooded my neighbors downstairs. They called the condo management company hotline. 2 plumbers came to my apartment, then they tried to plunge it and spent there about 2.5 hours. here is what they wrote in the bill#1:

"7pm to 11pm 2-20-2014" upon arrival we found it raining in 4xx master bedroom. When we gained access to 5xx we found there toilet was blocked and leaking at the wax ring. We pulled the toilet and rodded the line, we pulled out 3' of dental floss and tampons all tangled up. We preinstalled the toilet and everything is working fine at this time. Job complete.
Emergency Service Call and repair to Toilet 1,040.00
Total materials 30.00
Emergency Trip Charge 50.00
Total amount: $1,120.00

In 4 days the toilet got clogged again. It flooded my neighbors again, this time I called this hotline myself and the same 2 guys came over. They spent about an hour this time, here is what they wrote in the bill#2:

"Upon arrival we found the toilet was blocked up again in 5xx and the water was leaking to 4xx. We pulled the toilet and found the line was blocked due to offset collar. The piping needs to be replaced by cutting open the drywall in the ceiling of 4xx and moving the toilet line back towards the wall by at least 6". Job complete.
Emergency call 520.00
Emergency trip charge 50.00
Total amount $560.00

Now I invited another plumber (which looks to me much more professional) He explained to me that there is a defect in the way how the toilet installed so it gets clogged. here is what he suggested to do:

"Replace offset cast iron flange (toilet) with regular 4 inch cast iron toilet flange. The flange that is on there should not be offset and it is broken. $1,300 to replace".

My home insurance, said it's not covered. The building management company said that they cannot cover this because these "are not common elements".

I am totally devastated with all these - I need to pay $2980 which I don't have plus floor/tiles repair.

Can anyone recommend me how to handle this? is there any way to make the building management company/condo association or insurance involved into this?

Thank you
Michael

How old is the unit? There may be a chance of going back on the builder or the original plumber if it hasn't been too long. Maybe you should talk to an attorney.

Last edited:
Give the bill to your wife for flushing those things. Dispute the second trip because the clog is still there. The offset didn't cause the second flood. The remaining clog did. You should be fine to not make a repair to the pipes if the real clog is removed. If this is a new condo then I'd have the builder on the phone ASAP as well.

How old is the unit? There may be a chance of going back on the builder or the original plumber if it hasn't been too long. Maybe you should talk to an attorney.

The unit is about 10 years old.

Is there any way to tell if it was done by a previous owner or during initial construction? and does it matter?

why did your homeowners decline it?

I thought this would fall under water back up (usually 5000 coverage with 250 deductible)

Here is how it looked after emergency plumbers left. I had to call different (normal) plumbers who replaced the flange and sealed the holes.

The emergency plumbers left holes not sealed (see the photo), so when it got clogged 2 time the water leaked downstairs again.

Can I negotiate the bill with the emergency plumbers because they didn't seal the holes?

Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_4716.jpg
    IMG_4716.jpg
    353.5 KB · Views: 19
I would definitely try to do so. What do you have to lose?

Is there any way to negotiate the first bill for $1120 based on the fact that they attached the toilet to the broken flange, so it was not sealed properly?

or I need to ask refund for the second bill?

Is there any way to negotiate the first bill for $1120 based on the fact that they attached the toilet to the broken flange, so it was not sealed properly? or I need to ask refund for the second bill?

Why not. Tell them they didn't do their job correct the first time. There options would the be to compromise on the bill or take you to court if you do not pay. If you can prove your case in court you stand a good chance of winning.

Back