Aetna Fitness Benefit change

sman

Guru
5000 Post Club
Aetna is making an immediate change to their fitness benefit. The email states:

"Due to a recent clarification by the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS), we’re changing the items available for the fitness reimbursement benefit, which is available with 492 Aetna Medicare plans."

Effective immediately, the fitness benefit can no longer be used for the following items:
  • Athletic shoes (all types)
  • Camping tents
  • Fishing rods
  • Hiking poles
  • National and state park fees
As has been discussed on this forum, I'd expect many more changes to come next year. This is also further proof that all carriers do not interpret CMS rules the same.

"Due to a recent clarification by the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS), we’re changing the items available for the fitness reimbursement benefit, which is available with 492 Aetna Medicare plans."

Effective immediately, the fitness benefit can no longer be used for the following items:
  • Camping tents
  • Fishing rods
  • Hiking poles
As has been discussed on this forum, I'd expect many more changes to come next year. This is also further proof that all carriers do not interpret CMS rules the same.
Aetna pulled this one off- FAST!!! It has already been removed from the aetnamedicare.com Website in the EOC.

• Camping tents
  • Fishing rods
  • Hiking poles
Camping tents and fishing rods? Good thing I'm not that sick.

Athletic shoes is the one that they would all use so convenient for them to get rid of that. Also the park permits have been popular so far. Funny a "fitness benefit" can't include the one thing all people doing anything fitness related need and that's golf shoes, bowling shoes, hiking boots, tennis shoes, etc.

No doubt another carrier complained to cms. Hell 90% of people don’t fish or golf. Without the athletic shoes this benefit is worthless .It was cumbersome as hell to use anyway for the avg person sending everything in then they lose it.

No doubt another carrier complained to cms. Hell 90% of people don’t fish or golf. Without the athletic shoes this benefit is worthless .It was cumbersome as hell to use anyway for the avg person sending everything in then they lose it.
It’s fine for treadmills or exercise bikes or weights for home.

I wonder if the other carriers complained when they handed out the $500 and $1,000 gift cards during the previous AEP? To its credit, Aetna has no doubt pushed the envelope as much as it could.

Last edited:
It’s fine for treadmills or exercise bikes or weights for home.
I sold one a few months ago in a state that has a $1200 fitness benefit . I told the lady she could buy $1200 of athletic shoes . I was looking today and I noticed you can only buy 1 pair a yr . I’m curious if you can’t do shoes why you can do golf fees ?

Back