Training for Independent Agent

wolfe42

Expert
Hello Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone knew of a online service that can help train and learn the insurance business all the way up to assets under management and in between.

The reason I am asking is because, I have been independent for the last two years but only working it as a part time business because of the other two busineses I own.

I would like to start doing this full time and grow my business. I don't want to have to go to a "captive" company for there training because I know that I would want to leave eventually because of various reasons.

So I guess what I am asking is, is there a way to really learn and excel at this business without going captive, and what are some resources to look at.

Thank you all so much for your help in advance, and have a great day everyone!

Nothing available online will teach you what you need to know. It's one thing to run the business (regulations, carrier relationships, negotiating rent, etc) and it's another to run the day to day operations of an insurance agency (customer service, sales, advisory services, etc). My best advice would be to hire a seasoned person to help you establish this. Perhaps a recently retired agency owner that's interested. Do not go captive.

Can I ask you a question please? Is captive training going to make a huge difference then getting training on my own.

In other words, I want to know how to be trained on how to just not sell to someone needing insurance, but rather take each individual and family and use a holistic approach since all will be in different positions in thier lives.

I don't want JUST product training if that makes sense, and I wonder if there are captive companies that can offer what I mentioned above.

Thank you!

The captive platform will only train you how to sell those products. IA's sell all different products, from a vast number of carriers, including the E&S market (extremely popular today). You want to work for your customer, not a carrier. The independent agency platform is the way to go, but there is a significant learning curve. You will not only be an independent business owner (building equity every day), but you will also be an expert insurance advisor and ideally, a trusted partner to your customer.

Ok, I understand that, but where do I get the systems, processes, and marketing from? A simple IMO etc?

I want to start a process from a-z with customers and give them a holistic SOLUTION instead of selling a PRODUCT

Thank you!

I understand and actually I thought about looking in to Brightway as well. Thank you!

So I guess what I am asking is, is there a way to really learn and excel at this business without going captive, and what are some resources to look at.

Yes.

A very good IMO.

Caution: To learn this profession part-time is IMHO not a wise course of action.

Ask about some of the the IMO's on here. Then follow-up with research on your own. There is also tons of information on line, but don't get funneled in to only one source.

Back