Know it All Veterans

I would love for you to explain more about the ins and outs of Tricare and MA

When I first went indy in 2011 from various FMO's and when I was trained in call center in 2008

I was always taught with VA its simple, Go to VA than VA pays, Go out in public then MA pays

But don't mess with Tricare as Tricare acts a Medicare supplement and MA would interfere on how that works

When I first went indy in 2011 from various FMO's and when I was trained in call center in 2008

I was always taught with VA its simple, Go to VA than VA pays, Go out in public then MA pays

But don't mess with Tricare as Tricare acts a Medicare supplement and MA would interfere on how that works

You can go outside of the VA when you are in the VA system. If your appointment for whatever is going to be set out more than 2 months, you can request to go outside of the VA for care. Otherwise, everything but Dental is covered at the VA. So all those extra perks of an MA policy, except for dental, mean absolutely nothing.

This is what I send to my Tricare + MA - it says Humana but insert your carrier of choice.

Here is how the flow of claims works:

Medicare Advantage + Tricare
- The Medicare Advantage carrier (Humana) gets the claim as primary
Note: The Medicare advantage carrier (Humana) does not automatically send the claim to WPS (tricare billing) for secondary payment - either you or the provider will need to.

- The provider would either need to send the claim to WPS as secondary or you may need to get involved with the filing so that Tricare can pay as secondary (Form DD2642 - found here)

Ideally - you'll want to ask the provider to communicate with both Humana and WPS.

Thank You,

Caveat, not an agent.

Back in 2017 and 2018 there were a number of discussions in site threads about how Medigap/Medicare Supplement coverage could be of benefit to some vets with VA type coverages.

If I understand posts on the site correctly, in the last two-three years government tinkering with the finances of Medicare Advantage has led to increased carrier profits on the product, increased compensation from carriers to agents on sales of the product, and improved and/or additional features of the product for sales people to present to Veteran (and Non-Veteran) Medicare Beneficiaries.

So it is my opinion that a significant portion of today's (Today meaning something like current decade) hoopla over how wonderful MA coverage is for vets stems from financial incentives created by carriers for those selling and holding MA-MAPD type insurance plans. I think that High Deductible medigap plans could also continue to be viable supplementary Medicare insurance products for some veterans.

So it is my opinion that a significant portion of today's (Today meaning something like current decade) hoopla over how wonderful MA coverage is for vets stems from financial incentives created by carriers for those selling and holding MA-MAPD type insurance plans. I think that High Deductible medigap plans could also continue to be viable supplementary Medicare insurance products for some veterans.

lol.....

You're a one-trick pony.

LD's insurance services: "Have you considered a high deductible med supp?"

That's probably the last option I'd recommend to someone with TriCare or even non-Tricare VA Benefits.

(And in your mind, you'll think I'm saying this only for financial reasons. You'd be wrong).

Back